Jason, Erin, Clint and Amber tagged me on this 25 things deal, so here goes!
(Blog readers, this is a Facebook thing)
(Blog readers, this is a Facebook thing)
Rules: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you.
1. My favorite restaurants are Rooster’s in Baytown, Delia’s in Alvin, Tortuga’s in Galveston, Pappy’s in Argyle, Gringo’s in Pearland, Pappadeux in Kemah and Johnny Carino’s anywhere. Oh, and In & Out Burger…
2. My blood type is
3. Most days I love my job in youth ministry – but sometimes I wish I worked outside…Probably as a game warden.
4. I don’t have a consistent record of voting in elections, but I did vote in 2008, and I studied the platforms of everyone I would have to vote for and took notes into the ballot box with me so I could remember who I wanted to vote for.
5. I’ve living in
6. I’ve been to a lot of concerts in my life – Chicago, Brooks and Dunn, George Strait, Acappella, AVB, Ray Boltz, David Ball, Keith Urban, Clay Walker (5x), Avalon, Casting Crowns, Leeland, DC Talk, Jaci Velasquez, FFH, Ginny Owens, Phillips Craig and Dean, Wayne Watson, Michael Card, Shane & Shane, Shaun Groves, Amy Grant, 4Him, The Newsboys (4x), The Supertones (picked them up at the airport and took them to dinner), Grits, The Judds, Audio Adrenaline, Caedmon’s Call, Third Day, Michael W. Smith, Mercy Me, Chris Tomlin, Diamond Rio, David Crowder Band, plus a lot more I can’t remember. And, I once skipped a free Jars of Clay concert in 1998 because I didn’t know much about them yet…I’m still kicking myself.
7. I DO NOT ride roller coasters. I’m a chicken.
8. I’m thrilled that my job doesn’t require me to wear a tie, even on Sundays.
9. I didn’t hit my “growth spurt” until about 9th or 10th grade. When I started 8th grade I was 4’6” tall and probably weighed about 70 lbs. My mom used to point out good men who were short so that I could have some role models and not be discouraged about my size.
10. I made a good enough score on my SAT/ACTs to qualify for a full-tuition scholarship to college. When I was being interviewed by the admissions counselors who would decide who would and who wouldn’t get the scholarship, one of the counselors used a creative metaphor about crayons to ask me if I felt like my success on the test was a result of nature or nurture. I think I answered something along the lines of 50%. I was wrong and he’d probably be amazed if he knew how much I’ve thought about that question since then. I think it’s more like 99.99% nurture…There have always been a lot of people in my life who cared for me a lot.
11. I feel like I’m a terrible conversationalist, but I like to be talked to. I appreciate people who have the ability to make me talk by asking good questions, but I don’t feel like I’m good at that.
12. I’ve had jobs as a t-ball umpire, soccer referee, Target sales associate, campus tour guide, office assistant, youth ministry intern, oil pump-jack painter and youth minister.
13. I wish DFW had a better Christian radio station like
14. For years now, I’ve been truly trying to internalize an important life lesson I’ve learned – that “unasked-for advice is usually heard as criticism.” I think that my failure to learn this lesson early in life did damage to a lot of my relationships, specifically those with my younger brothers. More info on that lesson here: http://bobhyatt.typepad.com/pastorhacks/2009/01/best-of-2008-when-to-confront.html
15. If I could be anywhere right now, I’d be on the King Ranch in south
16. I never met any of my great-grandparents.
17. Although I consider myself a sports fan, I don’t know much about sports history or statistics, I ALWAYS feel like it’s just a game, and I certainly don’t live and die by any team’s success or failure. That being said, Go Astros.
18. I sometimes miss being a youth intern…students more readily related to me back then.
19. My favorite music groups are Mercy Me, Shane and Shane, Caedmon’s Call, U2,
20. I don’t like to shave and I usually try to get away with going 3-4 days between shaves. I’m probably too old to get away with this.
21. In middle school, I played roles in two productions at a local community theater. I even played the violin in one of the productions. I never got interested enough in theater to being involved, but I’m thankful for the experience because it probably taught me a lot about projecting my voice and communicating with an audience…skills that I use a lot in my job.
22. In 7th grade, an MRI revealed a benign, damaged area of my brain that doctors called a “gliosis.” They said that it was probably the result of an infection I had as an infant and that it shouldn’t affect me later in life. My wife is suspicious of that statement and wants me to have it re-checked. She’s probably right. (On a related note, Wikipedia is scary)
23. No matter how hard I’ve tried, I’ve never been able to water ski. I can knee board and ride the tube no problem, but I can’t get up out of the water on skis…
24. I would rather play golf with one other person than with three other people.
25. I really miss driving a pickup truck.
26. I probably put way too much time and thought into producing this list.